Ukraine won the Eurovision Song Contest 2022. This is the third time they have won the competition.
– First of all, I want to thank all the Ukrainians in the whole world, and everyone in Europe who voted for Ukraine. The winner is very important for Ukraine, especially this year. Thank you very much.
– All victories for Ukraine are important in these times. In recent months, Ukrainian culture has been under attack. We are here to show that Ukrainian culture and music live.
The frontman of the winning band Kalush Orchestra, Oleh Psiuk, said this during the press conference after the victory.
Do they think that people voted for diving because of the situation the country is in ?, they were asked.
– The song was number one according to several bookmakers. Lately I have also heard the song in several countries we have visited in recent weeks.
Got greetings from the president
Kalush Orchestra has not received a phone call from the president, and says he is busy with other things in the war-torn country they come from. But they have still received an indirect greeting.
– Our music is conquering Europe, writes Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyj on Telegram after the victory.
– Next year, Ukraine will host Eurovision. For the third time in history. And I believe it is not the last. We will do our best to one day host the participants and guests of Eurovision in Ukrainian Mariupol, he writes further.
Mariupol is one of them hardest happen byane during the war.
At the press conference after the victory, there were many emotions at play.
Voting record for the war-torn country
Ukraine received a record 439 points from the audience votes.
The jury received only 192 points.
– I believe that we have the opportunity to host Eurovision in a peaceful, united, structured, prosperous and closed Ukraine, Psiuk said before the final.
In two days they will return to Ukraine. In the press conference, they say that they are not sure what to do when they have to return, but that they are ready to fight what they can for their country.
The Kalush Orchestra performed the song “Stefania”, which is about Psiuk’s mother.
Possible jury vote manipulation
The Eurovision Broadcasting Union (EBU), which is responsible for the competition, reports “irregular voting patterns” in the jury votes from six countries.
They write this in a press release.
The EBU has worked together with its voting partner to calculate a result for each quarter of the country, so that their voting becomes a result that gives meaning based on various factors.
A neutral committee has followed the process as it has gone straight ahead.
They also write that they take a quarter of an attempt to manipulate voting results very seriously.
It is uncertain what kind of country we are talking about.
Britain almost recovered
Morten Westgaard in Eurovision Norway is in Turin and saw the competition from the back room.
He thought Britain would reach the top after seeing them on stage.
That was not the case. The UK ended up in 2nd place, and it was between them and Ukraine in the end.
– This was delicious! A large hall with super nice earthlings who could sing our whole song! Jim was really surprised and Keith kept bursting with joy! Turin has been absolutely fantastic so far. Dj Astronaut is a bit hot and wants a fan, says Subwoolfer to NRK after their performance.
Jim and Keith are the names of the two wolves in the group.
Norway came in 10th place in this year’s competition and got a total of 182 points.
– Please help Ukraine
After the Ukrainian band Kalush Orchestra was on stage during the final, they asked for help.
– The only thing I ask to dive is to help Ukraine, Mariupol, said Psiuk, who is known for wearing a pink hat.
It has been speculated that they could be disqualified by this, but the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) victory to VG that they see this as a humanitarian comment and not a political comment.
Millions of seafarers
200 million seafarers from all over Europe and Australia gathered to see the 25 entries that were in the final of this year’s competition.
In the opening show, a large choir sang the song “Give Peace A Chance” by John Lennon and Yoko Ono.
– What am I involved in?
Amanda Tenfjord from Sunnmøre represented Greece in this year’s final. Tenfjord is Norwegian-Greek, and got questions about contributing in the competition for Greece.
Sunnmøringen and Greece came in 8th place in the competition.
– This was, as expected, the best performance she has had so far. Proper empathy. This was touching, says Morten Westgaard in Eurovision Norway.
More Norwegian chances in this year’s competition
Not only with Amanda Tenfjord and Subwoolfer, we had two Norwegians in the band We Are Domi who represented the Czech Republic in the competition.
Benjamin Rekstad on keyboard and Casper Hatlestad on guitar.
The Czech Republic scored a total of 28 points in this year’s competition and came in 21st place.
– We do not have in our minds like “now we will win”. We will run our show, enjoy ourselves on stage and hope people like it, Rekstad said before the final.
We Are Domi was the first contribution on stage.