Dusseldorf A slight drop in the number of deaths has given the US state of New York, which has been hard hit by the coronavirus pandemic, some encouragement. Overall, the number of deaths from Covid-19 patients rose to nearly 4,200, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday. After 630 deaths from Friday to Saturday, 594 people infected with the virus died in the following 24 hours. Admissions of critically ill people in intensive care units were also declining and discharge from hospital treatment had increased.
That gave a spark of hope that the spread of the virus would slow, Cuomo said. However, it was still too early to say whether the pandemic in New York had reached its peak. “We can be very close to the summit, but the summit could also be a plateau on which we have now arrived,” said the governor. “The corona virus is really malicious. It is an effective killer. People who are most at risk must remain isolated and protected. ”
New York City, where the greatest number of deaths were reported, also declined. By late Sunday afternoon (local time), the death toll increased by 218 from the previous day, local authorities said. 387 new deaths were reported on Saturday, 305 on Friday.
US President Donald Trump was cautiously optimistic about the development of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States. “We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel,” Trump said in Washington. “But you can never be happy when so many people die.” He hopes that the “flattening” of the Corona crisis will show up in some of the country’s hot spots.
By contrast, head of the public health system, Jerome Adams, warned that the pandemic would continue to spread in the coming days. Most Americans are facing “the hardest and the saddest week,” he said on Fox News. “This will be our Pearl Harbor moment, our September 11th, but it won’t be limited to one place. It will happen across the country.” Government experts estimate that between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could die in the pandemic. To date, more than 9,500 people have been killed in the United States and more than 335,000 have been tested positive.
In a New York zoo, a tiger was tested positive for the new corona virus. In addition to the four-year-old female named Nadia, three other tigers and three lions also had disease symptoms, said the zoo in the Bronx district. It is the first known infection in a tiger worldwide and the first time that the disease has been detected in an animal in the USA. According to the zoo, the wild cats were infected by an animal keeper who at the time had no symptoms of infection with the Sars-CoV-2 virus. However, health authorities assume that domestic dogs and cats cannot transmit the virus back to humans.
The economic crisis comes to the health catastrophe. The far-reaching consequences of the pandemic also reveal the weaknesses of the American economic and social system: the social system, corporations and politics. (Read the great U.S. special here.)
The further situation at a glance:
- In Germany are by Monday morning at least according to Johns Hopkins University numbers 1,584 people, who were infected with the new corona virus died. The number of confirmed cases exceeded the 100,000 mark: more than 100,100 infections with Sars-CoV-2 were registered.
- The Robert Koch Institute counted 1434 victims of lung disease Covid-19 in Germany on Monday morning. The number of deaths increased by around 92 compared to the previous day. The number of infections rose by 3,677 to 95,391 cases.
Have particularly high numbers Bavaria with 24,974 documented cases and almost 437 deaths and North Rhine-Westphalia with 19,384 cases and over 250 deaths, show the numbers of the RKI. You can see the current figures for your state and district in the tables on our map below:
- Finance Minister Olaf Scholz and Foreign Minister Heiko Maas (both SPD) have spoken out in favor of joint European aid measures in the fight against the corona pandemic. They counted as instruments in a joint guest contribution for several European newspapers Euro rescue fund ESM, the European Investment Bank EIB as well as the program proposed by the EU Commission “Sure”which, like in Germany, is intended to finance short-time work in the Member States. The euro finance ministers are discussing possible instruments this Tuesday.
- Of the British Prime Minister Boris Johnson went to the hospital on Sunday evening for medical examinations on medical advice. “This is a precaution because the prime minister shows persistent symptoms of the virus ten days after his positive corona test,” said a government spokesman. Johnson is therefore still at an elevated temperature. Johnson had continued to quarantine government affairs in the past few days.
- Queen Elizabeth II (93) has called on the British to To counter the coronavirus pandemic with characteristic British self-discipline and quiet determination. “I hope that in the coming years everyone can be proud of how they dealt with this challenge,” said the Queen on Sunday evening in a Addressing the British people and the Commonwealth. The speech is a sign that the government is increasingly concerned about the rapidly growing number of deaths from Covid-19 lung disease.
- Europe is in the corona crisis before its historical test, write the two former federal foreign ministers Sigmar Gabriel (SPD) and Joschka Fischer (Greens) in a guest contribution for the Handelsblatt. No European country would come out of the crisis alone. Germany should now go ahead and participate in an EU aid program for particularly affected countries, they demand. Read the full post here.
- Malta has sealed off a refugee camp after eight migrants tested positive for the corona virus. Around 1,000 African refugees were quarantined in the Hal Far camp for 14 days, the Ministry of Health said. The eight infected would be isolated. The camp is surrounded by police officers to ensure compliance with the conditions. Army vehicles were also stationed.
- The biggest US aircraft manufacturer Boeing has extended production stoppages at its Washington state plants as a result of the corona crisis. The production remains suspended until further notice, the company said. Boeing had temporarily suspended production on March 23. In general, it had previously been expected that this would be lifted earlier this week.
- Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe According to a media report, Tuesday may be due to the Corona crisis state of emergency calling out. This Monday he will probably announce this, reports the newspaper “Yomiuri”. The move would give Abe additional powers to the authorities in particularly affected parts of Japan. They can impose extensive curfews, cancel events and close schools and other public institutions.
- The Number of infections detected with the corona virus has the brand of 1.2 million worldwide exceeded. This emerges from current figures from the American Johns Hopkins University. The lung disease Covid-19, which the virus Sars-CoV-2, which was practically unknown three months ago, can trigger died so far worldwide more than 69,000 people.
The Unreported should be high in case numbers and deaths, say scientists. First, the number of infections detected depends on how many people are tested. Virtually no country in the world has enough tests and laboratory capacities for evaluation. In addition, some countries started testing late or deliberately opt for a selective test strategy. On the other hand, many people with previous illnesses or in old age may have died from the viral infection without doctors having recognized or being able to check this at the time.
The current worldwide number of detected infections and victims shows the Real-time map of Hopkins University:
Newsletter on the topic: Corona Briefing
Would you like a regular update of our reporting on the effects of the Corona outbreak on markets, the economy and society? Register here for our free Handelsblatt Corona newsletter.
Service for entrepreneurs and employees: emergency aid and loans, short-time allowance calculator
The Handelsblatt also reports on the corona virus
More: You can find all the latest developments in the coronavirus epidemic in our news blog.