A place for comics in the US art market? Philippe Labaune believes in it. So much so that this Frenchman from New York opened his own gallery in the Chelsea district in 2021 between the behemoths of the sector such as Gagosian Where Pace. A
near the exhibitions dedicated to Miles Hyman, Georges Bess, Dave Mc Kean, Lorenzo Mattotti, its space opens to the authors of graphic novels, a surprise for the local public. So they found themselves Catherine Meurissejust crowned with a new selection for the Angoulême Grand Prix, Rutu Modanherself selected for the FIBD for her astonishing Tunnels and Elizabeth Colomba, painter novice in comic strips signing Queeniea stunning biopic of mastery.
This is a first in the USA for Catherine Meurisse, a first in exhibitions and sales for Rutu Modan and a first in “comic-art” for Elizabeth Colomba. A crowd of curious and true amateurs were surprised by their works, original boards, illustrations or drawings made especially for the event. With some well-known professionals at Actuabd.com.
- Philippe Labaune and three graphic continents, those of Elizabeth Colomba, Rutu Modan and Catherine Meurisse
- If we found the souvenir photos of Stéphanie, alias Queenie? Elizabeth Colomba interprets the journey of the “godmother of Harlem” in another way, the subject of her first comic strip…
- …an exercise in exploring history hailed by Art Spiegelman himself
- An outlet in NFT for comics created digitally? To be continued…
- “Shock therapy for Israeli society”, how not to present Rutu Modan differently in the city of Woody Allen?
- Retrouvaille, Françoise Mouly has already called on the talents of illustrator Rutu Modan for the Newyorker and published her youth album “Maya Makes a Mess” in 2012, never published in French.
- Universal humor? The cartoons for the French press by Catherine Meurisse hit the mark with American visitors…
- … and collectors.
- Distinguished visitors, Juanjo Guarnido, Paul Pope…
- … Ian Bertram and his friends
This article remains the property of its author and may not be reproduced without his permission.