Today Wednesday will be a discussion about the future of our hockey. To impose on the club a salary cap with a luxury tax? Or to be relaxed the immigration restriction or even repealed? Such questions need to be answered, among other things, so on the 27. August can be voted on.
However, the National League actually needs a Revolution? No. Any unnecessary interference could be fatal. Because the League is a success story.
- The stadiums were full. Only the Corona the spirit of the games prevented a record attendance.
- More voltage is hardly possible. The bar fight captivates the Fans always to the very end.
- The League is balanced, also regularly financially strong clubs to miss the Playoffs. Even an expensive Team does not guarantee a title.
- The sporting spectacle is great, and the intensity has increased in the last few years.
- The League consists of village clubs like Ambri and Langnau and Teams with financial strength. So every club has its own identity.
- Our Hockey is successful as never before. 2013 and 2018, the national championship won a silver medal. Last season played in 15 of the Swiss in the NHL.
So why this desire to make big changes? The clubs find that the wages of the players are too high. Only in the NHL and the KHL-higher Salaries can be paid. This is due to the fact that the game market is too small for us, as it tell the club representatives. But the fact that the purchasing power of the clubs has increased massively in recent years. Higher TV money, sponsorship and Ticket income, diversification and patrons, and donors filled the coffers. Because nobody put the money on the side, but it is in the team, invested, wages rose. So the promise that the higher TV would not use the money for higher wages, soon to be smoke and mirrors.
If you believe that would change with a loosening or lifting of the aliens restriction because something makes you something. Who wants to afford it, will go to its financial limits, to be able to have the best possible Team on the ice send. Also lifting the Status of foreigners with a Swiss license doesn’t change that.
Only two components strengthen the willingness to save: greed or suffering. Before Corona was aware of that.
With a “Salary Cap light”, a salary cap with a luxury tax, as proposed by Davos President Gaudenz Domenig and which support almost all of the clubs, could be trimmed and the wages actually. However, the law itself admits that this System legally would stand on shaky legs. Only with solidarity and blind faith it would work. It is a whole System, would be negligent. Especially since there are too many ways to circumvent it.