DIn retaliation, Iran used two US soldiers to kill his top general Qassem Soleimani military bases in Iraq attacked, The Ain al-Assad airbase in central Iraq and a base in the northern city of Erbil were affected, the U.S. Department of Defense said on Wednesday night. The most important ministers of US President Donald Trump met in the White House for a crisis meeting.
Trump only warned Tehran on Tuesday: “If Iran does something it shouldn’t do, they will face the consequences. And very strongly. “
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard announced that the “Operation Martyr Soleimani” was 35 rocketry attacked Ain al-Assad air base “completely destroyed”. The attack with ballistic surface-to-surface missiles on the “American-occupied” base was “a complete success in every respect”.
The Iraqi military, on the other hand, speaks of 22 rockets fired at 1.45 a.m. local time. 17 hit Al-Assad Air Force Base, two of which did not explode. Five more rockets have hit the northern Iraqi region of Erbil.
Iraqi government claims to be ahead of Iran’s retaliatory attack on US Tehran troops over the military strike informed Service. Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi said in a message shortly after midnight (local time) that it would begin soon and be limited to positions with a US presence. At the same time they also would have American reported.
On Tuesday evening in the United States, Trump tweeted: “Everything is good! Missiles launched from Iran on two military bases in Iraq. Victims and damages are now assessed. So far so good! We have by far the most powerful and best equipped military in the world! I will make a statement tomorrow morning. “
The Iranian missile attacks are for the US, according to its own statements mild went out. There were very few, if any, victims, a government official said Tuesday evening (local time). However, the bases would still be searched for possible deaths or injuries.
Iranian state television, however, spoke of according to the Reuters news agency 80 killed “American terrorists“. In addition, helicopters and military equipment of the US military were badly damaged.
Iran calls attack “act of self-defense”
On Wednesday morning, “CNN” learned from American and Iraqi sources that there were apparently no casualties. Accordingly, the US soldiers stationed before the Iranian missile attack warned, Thanks to an early alarm, those in the danger zone would have had time to shelter in shelters to bring to safetyCNN said, citing a member of the US military.
Around 5,000 US soldiers are stationed in Iraq. “We’re working on initial damage assessments,” the Pentagon said. “These bases have been on high alert for indications of planned attacks by the Iranian regime on our troops and interests in the region,” said Washington.
So far, it has been confirmed from the respective countries or armies that no German, Danish, Norwegian or Polish soldiers have been injured or killed. The Iraqi military said that no Iraqi soldiers had been killed.
The Iranian government described the rocket attacks as “proportionate” and legitimate “act of self-defense”. “We are not striving for escalation or war, but we will defend ourselves against any aggression,” Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Sarif wrote on Twitter.
Local Shiite militias, supported by Iran, have recently attacked US bases in Iraq more often with technically simpler missiles. However, a direct attack from Iran marks one new escalation level in the conflict between the United States and Iran.
Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said the United States had “taken all reasonable steps” to safeguard the protection of U.S. and partner country soldiers in the face of Iranian threats in the past few days.
The Revolutionary Guards warned the “big one.” Satan“USA before counterattacks. Every US response is answered with a tougher response. In addition, US allies should know that their bases, which are made available to the Americans, could also be targeted by Iranian attacks if attacks on Iran were carried out from there.
The Iranian army is again demanding that US troops be withdrawn from the Middle East. “Now that they have recognized our power, it is time for the United States to withdraw its soldiers from the Middle East,” said Chief of Staff Mohammad Bakeri on Iranian state television.
The Iranian military also threatened to attack Israelin the event of counterattacks by the United States. Iranian Telecommunications Minister Jahromi tweeted: “Get out of our region!”
With the killing of Soleimani, the United States may have cut off “one arm” from Iran, said Iranian President Hassan Ruhani. But in response, the US would lose its foothold in the region. Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Sarif describes the attack as “legitimate self-defense”.
Last night was a “slap in the face” for the United States, Iran’s spiritual and state leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says, “but it is a military measure not enough“. The US troops would have to leave the region. Their presence is the source of corruption. “The United States is the enemy of Iran.” Israel is also an enemy.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has threatened Iran with “a mighty counterstrike” in the event of an attack on Israeli targets. “Anyone who attacks us will get a huge counter-attack,” Netanyahu said at a conference on Wednesday.
After Iran’s reaction to the targeted killing of Suleimani, according to the militia leader Kais al-Khasali, Iraq must now respond. Iraq’s response will not be any weaker than that of Iran.
Hackers have used the Twitter account of the state-run Kuwaiti news agency Kuna to spread hoaxes about the withdrawal of American troops from the Emirate. The Kuwaiti government announced. The news spread on Twitter had attracted a lot of attention. Kuwait has more than 13,000 US soldiers stationed; Given the tensions between the US and Iran, additional US units are deployed there.
Federal government condemns attack – partial withdrawal of German soldiers?
The German government sharply condemned the Iranian retaliation attack. “I can only say, certainly on behalf of the federal government, that we strongly reject this aggression,” said Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer (CDU) in the ARD “Morgenmagazin”. Now everything must be done to calm the situation. “It will now be critical that we don’t let this spiral go up,” she said. Foreign Minister Heiko Maas also condemned the Iranian missile attack.
According to a spokesman, the German Bundeswehr forces stationed in Erbil did nothing. “We are in contact with the soldiers. The soldiers are doing well, ”said a spokesman for the operations command in Potsdam. The Bundeswehr is in Iraq as part of the international coalition against the terrorist militia Islamic State (IS).
The German soldiers were warned of the rocket fire and then went to shelters, according to a report by the chiefs of the Defense and Foreign Affairs Committee in the Bundestag.
The Bundeswehr spokesman could not provide any information about the further consequences of the attacks. The German soldiers have tightened their security measures. The federal government is examining one partial withdrawal of the Bundeswehr soldiers stationed in Erbil. “We have agreed with the international coalition anyway that all forces that are not needed are not exposed to any unnecessary risk,” said Kramp-Karrenbauer.
According to Green Party leader Anton Hofreiter, the EU should try to relax the situation through talks. Trump’s actions and the provocations of Iran have resulted in “that the danger of war has grown significantly,” says Hofreiter on the sidelines of a WELT conference in Berlin.
According to Agriculture Minister Julia Klöckner, Germany should mediate in the conflict between the United States and Iran. The federal government must conduct multilateral talks, says the CDU politicians on the sidelines of the WELT conference. De-escalation is important. “We also have calls to mosques here in Berlin to commemorate the hero who is a terrorist to me,” said Klöckner, referring to Iranian General Kassem Soleimani, who was killed by the United States. So there are also extreme ideas “among us, where we live”.
“America and the World Can’t Afford War”
Soleimani had been killed by US drones in the Iraqi capital Baghdad on Friday night. Washington then said the Kuds unit chief had planned attacks on US citizens. Soleimani was considered the architect of Iran’s military strategy in neighboring countries. In Iran he is now worshiped as a martyr.
In the United States, Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi, meanwhile, warned of a warlike escalation: “America and the world cannot do anything war afford, ”she wrote. The influential US senator and Trump ally Lindsey Graham spoke of an “act of war” by Iran.
The United Arab Emirates called for de-escalation in the region. This is wise and necessary, Foreign Minister Anwar Gargasch writes on Twitter. “A political path to stability must now follow.” EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has also called for an end to the violence. “The use of weapons must stop now to make room for dialogue,” she said.
The EU ambassador to Iraq has warned of a proxy war following the Iranian missile attacks. “Iraq doesn’t deserve to be the victim of a proxy war!” Tweeted German Martin Huth. The attacks violate Iraq’s sovereignty. Iraq had previously complained of a breach of its sovereignty when the United States killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in an airstrike in Baghdad.
On Wednesday, the EU commissioners should meet for a special session on the escalating crisis in Iraq and Iran. A crisis meeting of EU foreign ministers is also planned for Friday. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Cavusoglu plans to travel to Iraq on Thursday to seek de-escalation.
The UK police are “extremely vigilant” in the face of the Iran conflict. “It’s a very troubling time and we have a lot of people of Iranian and Iraqi origin,” said Scotland Yard boss Cressida Dick. In the past few years, England – and London in particular – had been hit several times by terrorist attacks.
Economic consequences of the attacks
The Federal Foreign Office again tightened its travel warning for Iraq. The current travel and safety information published on Wednesday now says: “Avoid central infrastructure at the moment. US facilities are particularly at risk. “
The security situation for the Kurdish north, which was previously considered relatively safe, is now assessed differently. While on Monday evening only “travel to the Kurdistan-Iraq region which was not required” was discouraged, it is now said: “Travel to the Kurdistan-Iraq region is temporarily strongly discouraged due to the unclear security situation.”
As a result of the attacks, several airlines cancel flights to the region or no longer fly over the airspace of Iran and Iraq. Lufthansa will cut the daily connection between Frankfurt and Tehran on Wednesday. The next flight scheduled for Saturday to Erbil in Iraq will also be canceled.
According to Opec, production in the Iraqi oil plants continues undisturbed. The facilities are safe, says Opec Secretary General Mohammed Barkindo. That was a “great relief”. Suhail al-Masruei, Minister of Energy of the United Arab Emirates, said there is no immediate threat to the oil transports through the Strait of Hormuz. Nevertheless, the oil price jumped to a four-month high. The Brent variety from the North Sea rose on Wednesday by up to 5.1 percent to $ 71.75 a barrel.
Saudi Arabian oil tankers no longer drive through the Strait of Hormuz, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The state operator has suspended the passages. The Strait of Hormuz is one of the most important shipping routes in the world. Around a fifth of the world’s oil transports go through it. The Iranian Revolutionary Guards had not ruled out attacks in the strait that connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman.
Siemens is concerned about its Iraq business. “Of course, we primarily talk to our customers about which projects are possible and which are not,” says CEO Joe Kaeser on the sidelines of the WELT conference. In Iraq, Siemens prevailed against competitors. “Iraq is now right in the middle of this conflict.” Now you have to see how to deal with these big projects. Here as well as on the political level, prudence is required. It is important to ensure the safety of the employees on site.
Germany’s Vice Chancellor Olaf Scholz fears that the Middle East conflict will intensify. “You have to worry that there will be another escalation,” said the Federal Minister of Finance on the sidelines of the WELT conference. It is a “very dangerous situation in the entire region”. At the same time, however, one could get the impression that many participants understood the dangers that this poses for everyone. As things stand, Scholz does not fear any violent consequences for the economy. The domestic economy is stable and trade conflicts are likely to become less acute with the recent easing in the customs dispute between the United States and China.