AFP, published on Friday February 21, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will no longer use the appellation “Sussex Royal” as of spring, the spokesperson for the couple announced on Friday that will officially start their new life away from the British royal family.
“Given the specific rules of the British government regarding the use of the word + Royal +, it has been agreed that their non-profit organization, when presented this spring, will not be named the Sussex Royal Foundation,” said the official. spokesman.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to use + Sussex Royal + in any territory after the spring of 2020,” she said.
The decision of the prince and his wife to withdraw means that they give up using their title of royal highness, had announced the palace of Buckingham. The choice of whether or not to continue using the terms “Sussex Royal” was however left open.
Harry and Meghan have so far used this designation on their Instagram account, which has 11.2 million subscribers, and their official website, and have also used it for dozens of products.
The couple, who rocked the British monarchy last month by announcing their decision, will no longer have offices at Buckingham Palace, where Queen Elizabeth II resides, from April 1 and will be represented by their British charity.
The 35-year-old prince, sixth in succession to the throne and his wife, a 38-year-old former American actress, settled at the beginning of the year in a luxurious villa on the outskirts of Victoria, on the west coast of Canada with their son Archie, born in May.
Harry and Meghan used the name “Sussex Royal” for the first time when they distanced themselves from Prince William and his wife Kate. The two brothers have moved away in recent months, Harry explaining in October that they were following “different paths”.