Status: 03.06.2020 07:55 a.m.
NDR 1 Lower Saxony
After a massive outbreak of the corona virus in Göttingen in the course of family celebrations, the city closes all schools up to and including Sunday. Five kindergartens and several schools in the district are only allowed to open again next week. The city says that time is saved to evaluate tests, track possible chains of infection, order quarantine and contain further infection events as early as possible. From Monday, pupils and teachers in Göttingen will then have to wear mouth and nose protection in schools for two weeks.
Corona infections increased – City of Göttingen reacts
Hello Lower Saxony – 02.06.2020 7:30 p.m.
After several private family celebrations, 80 people tested positive for the corona virus in Göttingen, including many children. The city responded and temporarily closed all schools.
Meanwhile 80 infected people
The reason for the measure is that among the more than 370 contact persons of the infected there are also many children and adolescents who go to school. The number of people who tested positive for the corona virus has now risen to 80. According to the city, there are currently 230 people in the city and district of Göttingen and 140 in the rest of Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia in quarantine.
High-rise residents are tested
The focus of the outbreak is in a high-rise building on the northern inner edge of the stand. All 700 residents of the complex will be tested for the virus in the coming days. In addition, the property management was asked to draw up a hygiene concept for the building and submit it immediately. Several people live in the house and are said to have taken part in the far-reaching celebrations. “There are several large family associations – not one, but several – who are causing this situation,” said Mayor Rolf-Georg Köhler (SPD) on Tuesday evening.
Violations at parties and in shisha bars
The celebrations had taken place for the Muslim Sugar Festival. The festival marks the end of Ramadan, the month of Lent. According to the mayor, there were violations of hygiene and distance rules – but not in mosques, but during “private greetings and celebrations,” continued Köhler. A shisha bar also played a “not insignificant role”. Several people are said to have smoked there with a mouthpiece.
Apparently little cooperation among those involved
Despite the new Corona cases in Göttingen, the Lower Saxony state government has so far seen no need to move away from the easing course. “What is happening is currently not changing our phased plan,” said deputy government spokeswoman Kathrin Riggert on Monday. The processing in Göttingen was apparently made more difficult by the lack of cooperation between the parties. According to information from NDR 1 Niedersachsen, only 15 of 90 people who were to be tested on Saturday initially appeared for the examination.
Crisis team faces severe consequences
A man under corona quarantine, who violated the conditions several times and stayed in Göttingen, among others, is said to be connected to the infection process. The deputy head of the Corona crisis team, Claudia Schröder, announced on Tuesday at the state press conference in Hanover tough sanctions for such cases – even impending admission. Those who do not comply with quarantine requirements are committing a crime and can be transferred to a closed facility by the court, said Schröder.
More infections in Lower Saxony
At a ceremony to reopen a restaurant in the Leer district in mid-May 38 people infected with the coronavirus, 281 people from this environment are in quarantine. In Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven at least 57 members of a free church have been infected with the virus. There is also a three-digit number of people in quarantine.